Applied Broadcasting Centre [ABC] Ulwazi is a Radio Training and Production House based in Johannesburg, South Africa. We are a Section 21 non-governmental and non-profit organisation with 18a status. Our objectives are the strengthening of the community radio sector in South Africa and the development of radio as a tool for development and education.
ABC Ulwazi commits itself to providing professional training and quality programmes in all genres and languages to the community radio sector, as its contribution to the empowerment of South African society.
It strives towards service excellence, supported by a strong belief in human rights and equality.
At ABC Ulwazi, we believe in the power of radio as a mass communications medium to communicate educational and developmental messages. We attempt to facilitate this in the following ways:
– Writing and producing educational and developmental radio programmes based on thorough research and local relevance
– Producing multilingual programmes in all formats and of varying lengths
– Training community radio station broadcasters in content as well as presentation skills so as to draw maximum benefit from the programmes
– Assisting and training community radio stations in all aspects of broadcast including marketing and management.
– Distributing and archiving educational radio programmes
– Evaluating the effective use of the programmes to improve future projects.