The Citizens Coal Council is a federation of 48 grassroots citizens groups and individuals who work for social and environmental justice. The Citizens Coal Council and its members strive to:
* Protect people, homes, water, communities, and the environment from coal mining damage.
* Restore law and order by enforcing the federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act.
* Help each other win our issues.
Current CCC campaigns:
1. Stream Destruction Rule – The Bush administration has proposed clarifying” the stream buffer zone rules. The proposed changes will legalize the illegal — coal companies will be given free rein to destroy streams and the riparian zones around streams.
2. Mountaintop removal – Mountaintop removal strip mines blast hundreds of feet off the top of mountains so huge machines can mine thin seams of coal. Coal companies dump the mountaintops into nearby valleys and streams to create “valley fills