EMPOWER was established in the year 1991 by Mr. A. Sankar with a voluntary participation of a team of dedicated Development activists, Health Care Professionals , Academicians and Researchers who are committed to Social Justice.
EMPOWER is registered under Tamilnadu Societies Act in the year 1991 and engaged in developmental work for the past 13 years in Southern Districts of Tamilnadu.
Empowered gender just communities leading sustainable and quality livelihood.
Facilitating the community to gain control over their lives by nurturing their innate capacities to make their own choices.
* To empower the marginalized communities such as Women, Children and Youth of socially and economically disadvantaged communities
* To promote women’s rights and campaign against violence against women
* To promote child rights and campaign against exploitation of children
* To impart consumer awareness education, offer consumer guidance, campaign against unfair trade practices, to work on civic and environmental issues affecting the people through research and social action
* To prevent the spread of STD/HIV/AIDS among high-risk behaviour groups through Health education and condom distribution and providing counseling and care to those affected by HIV/AIDS
* To enhance reproductive rights and impart health education to adolescent girls and boys and adult women and to carry out research in the area of reproductive health
* To prevent alcoholism and drug abuse and to offer de-addiction and Rehabilitation
* To promote Science and Technology to improve the quality of life
* To impart skill development training for promoting micro enterprise among women and youth
* To create awareness to protect, preserve and promote environmental equilibrium for harmonious living with nature.